Friday, January 29

Why Children Need Art Education

Welcome Back!

Everyone in our house is sick right now, and no one wants to do much but sleep :)

That being said, I thought it would be a good time to cover the art education topic. This is under a lot of debate right now, as more and more schools across the country are eliminating the arts in school in order to save money. This is a topic I feel very strongly about for a number of reasons, and was shocked when it sparked a debate between my husband and myself. He didn't feel it was an important part of the educational system "at least for little kids" to use his words exactly. So I started looking up information on the topic (becuase for some reason he can't take what I have to say about the subject as truth because I'm "too emotionally involved with it" to use his exact words again, lol).

Well, I came across this article and I think it does a great job of explaining exactly why children thrive from art education in grade school.

Here's a small portion from the National Arts Education Public Awareness Campaign talking about some of the benefits of art education in grade school:

(your child is) "4 times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement


3 times more likely to be elected to class office within their schools

4 times more likely to participate in a math and science fair

3 times more likely to win an award for school attendance"
 
Please visit the site for a more compelling list of reasons your child needs an art education: http://www.artsusa.org/public_awareness/

This is what my site is all about, and part of the reason I upload a new project each day. I hope that this can be used as a resource for many.

Would you like to share something on this topic? Please feel free to leave a comment below.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment