Sunday, January 10

Cloth Napkins



Welcome back!
I'm so excited to say that I have gone three months so far with out needing paper napkins or paper towels. This is not only good for my wallet, but it's also good for the planet, and they look nice - you just can't beat that.

My kids love these too. They are soft enough to clean their faces as well as their hands, and when the meal is over, I just toss them into the washing machine - easy clean up :)

This is such a simple thing to do too. I actually used an old sheet, but you could use any linen fabric that you want. The instructions I'll be posting are for the sheet. One sheet makes about 16 napkins.

What you need:
1 linen flat sheet
Sewing pins
Scissors
Iron
Sewing machine (you could try hemming tape, but I'm not sure how it will hold up in the wash)

Before I go on, I should mention that I did not do any measuring for these, and fortunately they turned out pretty uniform - lucky for me! Maybe it's my artistic nature, or my ADD, but I didn't have any desire to pre-measure, mark, and cut perfectly. Feel free to measure if you have the patience ;)

1. Fold the sheet in half, and then in half again, and so on until you reach a size that you like.

2. Take your scissors and cut each fold (I have heavy duty scissors and was able to do the whole stack at once).

3. Iron each piece flat, then fold over about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to create a hem line for each side, and insert pins to hold in place. Continue until the set is pinned.

4. Sew along the edges (don't forget to pull those pins out) and you're done!

This took me a few hours, but wow was it worth it! I did something similar with a couple old bathroom towels, and replaced those with paper towels - the bath ones actually work better and have reduced my overall cleaning time.

Please be sure to come back again soon!
We add a new art or craft project every day.

Thanks and good night! :)
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment