Sunday, January 3

Hairclip Holder


This is the very first "Momma Craft"!

As soon as my daughter had hair (literally just a few wisps), I started buying hair bows and clips. Most of them are so teensie that they keep getting lost or misplaced, so I came up with this idea and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It's simple, but works great and also doubles as wall art :) The glue is still setting, but once it dries I will add a wall mount to the back of it and hang it up.

What you need:

Lightweight untreated wood piece in any shape
Ultra fine sand paper (or an emery board)
Acrylic paint
Ribbon
Craft Glue
Wall Mount

1. Buff away any rough edges on the wood piece with the ultra fine sandpaper until all of the ragged edges are gone.

2. Paint the wood in any way you desire. My daughter's room is pink and ivory white and the furniture has a brown wash over it, so I tried to mimic that. I painted the entire pieces ivory white, then mixed brown paint and water to create a wash (50/50 mix) and lightly brushed it over the top of the wood, then I took a dry sponge and went over it with the same stroke pattern to soak up most of the color. I painted the small rim around the edges the same pink as the ribbon I chose to attach, and then added a little dot pattern to the top that matched the edging on the ribbon. What's great about this is that you can do whatever you want - have fun with it.

3. After the paint is dry, cut a piece of ribbon the length that you desire, and attach to the back of the wood with the craft glue. I used Tacky craft glue and a good amount of it, so that the ribbon was completely saturated in that spot (about half an inch of ribbon). Make sure to position the ribbon so that it will hang straight down (I used a quarter to hold it in place - in a spot that was glue free), and allow to dry.

4. Once glue is dry, attach a wall mount and hang it up.

It's so easy and so cute, and hopefully I won't lose any more bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment