Saturday, September 4

Homemade Ravioli

I was playing around in the kitchen the other day, and decided to try and make some ravioli. I have no idea what the "proper" way to make ravioli is, but I was happy with my outcome, and so was the rest of my family, so here is what I did...


I rolled out some pasta sheets using this noodle recipe, and then cut them into small squares about 2"x 2".

For the filling, I mixed one small container of Ricotta cheese with two handfuls of shredded mozzarella (about 1 cup) and a half a cup of Parmigiano Reggiano.

I placed a very small amount of the mixture in the center of the squares.

Covered that with another noodle square and pressed the edges shut with the end of a fork.

Make sure the edges are completely sealed, otherwise your mixture can ooze out while the noodles are boiling.

Add the ravioli to boiling water with a dab of oil added to the water to prevent sticking. It took them about 5-6 minutes to cook. They are done when they all float to the top. Drain and enjoy!


YUM!!
I should add that using the noodle recipe I had enough to make two batches of ravioli, and extra filling left over after that. This meal really costs pennies to make if you think of all the dinners you get from one mixture. I froze the second batch. If you freeze some, put them in the freezer separated on a cookie sheet covered in parchment, and then toss in a bag once frozen. This will prevent them from sticking to each other.
With the leftover mixture, I made some extra noodle sheets and rolled up some mannicotti and froze that for quick lunches. I'll post that method in a few days.

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment