Thursday, August 26

Make Your Own knitting Needles


If you've been hanging around this blog for a while, then I'm sure you already know just how much I LOVE to knit (or how obsessed I am with it, depending on how you look at it, lol). My knitting is like my third arm, a project is with me at all times. You never know when a free moment will present itself, and I always want to be able to take advantage of it. That being said, I typically have at least 4 projects going at once, and I have been running out of knitting needles.
I shared this little dilemma of mine with my mom and grandma the other day, and the response I got was "well, why don't you just make some more out of dowel rods - it's cheap and easy." Why didn't I think of that???

Sooooo, here it is! A tutorial to make your own knitting needles! It's super cheap, super fast, and super convenient! Just think of all the projects I can have going at once now! :)


You will need 2 dowel rods of any length or width, a pencil sharpener, glue, beads (optional), and ultra-fine sandpaper.


Sharpen one end of the dowel rod like you would a pencil. If you want to make double sided needles, just sharpen both ends.



I try not to sharpen the dowel rod so that it makes a pointy tip, but if you do, just either snap the tip off, or dull it with the sand paper.





Take you sandpaper and wrap it around the sharpened end, and twist it around to smooth out the wood. Notice my dark nail polish?? That's my way of telling the weather it's time for fall, lol.




If you want to dress your needles up a bit or add some weight, glue a bead to the un-sharpened end.



That's it!


In order to know the size of your new needles, you will need a knitting needle gauge.
These are also great for knitting with wire.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!
~Lisa :)







No comments:

Post a Comment