Friday, November 5

Happy Birthday Nana!

Today is a very special day. Today is my grandmother's birthday, or as we call her around here, Nana.

Why am I sharing this day on the blog? Well, because I'd like to also introduce you to the woman who introduced me to the natural food/living movement.

At first it freaked me out (come on, I was like 8 or 9). "Goat's milk? Really Nana? Ewwww, it smells..." So she offered some almond milk instead. That's the thing, I don't ever remember her pushing anything on me, just insisting I give things a try - whatever it may be.

I tagged along to a lot of fiber festivals when I was little. The memories of all the sheep and wool still stand out so vividly - the strong smell of soap, the fluffy poofs of wool flying up in the air and the oddly soft, dark skin of a shirred sheep. When I was nine she taught me how to spin wool into yarn, and how to knit. Unfortunately, I abandoned most of what she introduced me to while I was a teenager. I, apparently, had better things to do.

But now, oh how I appreciate it all sooo much! Every time we talk, I learn something new. And lately it seems like everything I tell her I want to try (like winter gardening, using plants to dye material, country living and so much more), she's done and most likely has a book to go along with her real world advice.

If only everyone could have a Nana like mine. We are blessed...

I just HAD to add this picture of my grandma because you'll still find her riding a very similar bike, with her tiny dog in the front basket.


We love you Nana!

Happy Birthday From All of Us!



1 comment:

  1. Aren't grandmother's wonderful. Mine would have been having her birthday next week.

    Found your blog at Bloggy Moms

    www.touchofhomelearning.blogspot.com
    www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete