Monday, October 8

Matcha Muffins Recipe

 
 
  I hope you all had a great weekend! We were finally able to venture out of our house for a while - everyone is on the mend and feeling much, much better.
 
  Last week, I shared one of our favorite quick and healthy snacks, you can view that post by clicking here. I also mentioned that I was starting a new series on the blog - Immune Boosting Recipes. Every day this week, I will be sharing a new recipe that has immune boosting ingredients. Most of these I will try to keep kid-friendly since that was my main purpose in this pursuit - to boost my children's immune system as we march into cold and flu season. After this week, I will continue to add recipes to this category as I find good, kid-friendly and relatively easy to fix dishes and snacks.
 
  Which brings me to my first recipe to share... Matcha Muffins! If you're not familiar with matcha, you can learn more here. What is so great about Matcha you may ask? To start, it has more antioxidants than blueberries, pomegranates and spinach (source). While that would be reason enough for me, it has also been touted to help in the fight against cancer, HIV and obesity (source).
 
  Matcha is typically consumed as a tea, but I know my children well enough to not even attempt to offer that. I figured my best best would be to bake it in something I know they already enjoy. On a side note, when you are purchasing matcha, read the labels very carefully. I was distracted and in a hurry when I bought mine, only to find out at home that it is not 100% matcha, but a mix of that and green tea. So, when you make your muffins, they will be a bright green color, and not the color of the muffin here. This worked just as well, but it also has itty-bitty tea leaves in it. I ordered pure matcha from Mountain Rose Herbs (were I get most of my herbs and spices), but I have to wait for it to be shipped.
 
  I was so excited when my kids gobbled these up! I did drizzle a little honey over the top to add some extra sweetness. There is a distinct tea flavor in the matcha muffins and I was afraid they might get snubbed by my little food critics. Over time, once they are accustomed to the flavor, I will be able to use a little less honey and then hopefully none at all.
 
 
Matcha Muffin Recipe
 
1 2/3 C  Whole grain flour
1/2 tsp  sea salt
1 tsp  baking aluminum free baking powder
1 1/2  Tbsp Matcha
1/2 C  organic cane sugar
1  egg
1/3 C  applesauce
1 C  Milk
 
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees - yeilds 12 muffins
 
1) Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
2) In a small bowl, add egg and applesauce. Whisk together.
3) Slowly pour milk into the egg and applesauce mixture, whisk while pouring.
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently mix until just combined - be sure not to over mix.
5) Fill muffin tins 3/4 full.
6) Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
 
Allow to cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment