Wednesday, October 3

Creating Space

 
 
Creating office spaces in closets has been showing up all over pinterest and on blogs like mad lately. Naturally, I ran to my closet to see if it could be done. We have a good size walk-in closet - but it had been neglected and was a mess of clothing piles, jammed shelving and quite honestly, boxes filled with unknown treasures ;) I'm a little embarrassed to admit this so openly, which is why I am sparring you a before shot of this project.
 
I spent an entire afternoon emptying the closest, dividing it fairly between Chris and myself, getting rid of what we didn't need, use or want, and organizing what was left. Doing that freed up an entire wall in my closet.
 
Then I happened across a handmade crafting desk on craigslist for only $20! The dimensions were perfect for our space - it almost seemed to good to be true.
 
 
 
This is a super heavy piece. It was built out of cabinetry and has a heavy duty laminate counter top. While we were trying to move it into the van, the leg caught and splintered so bad it had to be removed. Thankfully Chris is a great problem solver. He drilled a small 2x4 to the wall to act as a supporting shelf for the counter top. It's sturdy as can be and now has extra leg space below.
 
 
 
 The insides of the drawers on this desk were a little less than desirable. Even after a lot of washing and sanitizing, this is what I had to work with.
 
 
Sooooo, with a little decorative wrapping paper, some spray adhesive and an exacto knife, I made some custom drawer liners.
 
 
 
I love the way this turned out! I have had the paper in for a couple of months now and so far it is holding up wonderfully.
 
The original plan for this space was to house our computer, but in order to do that, we need to install an outlet. In the mean time, I've been using it as a crafting table. To be honest, I might just end up keeping it as that. Or it could even turn into a vanity if I were to add a mirror... Not sure yet, but I am sure that I love the extra space that was created with this project.
 
Have a great day!
-Lisa
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment