Wednesday, July 7

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Welcome Back!
I've decided that for the rest of this week, I'm going to post some of our favorite recipes. If you know me off-line, then you already know I'm a bit of a natural food freak ;) I've tried tons and tons of recipes over time with my family and came up with a little system that has served us well. Each time I try something new, if three out of the four of us like it, it makes it into my recipe box. So every recipe on this blog is straight from my box. Enjoy!

Blueberry Coffee Cake

What you need:
2 C Flour (I use stone ground whole wheat)
1 C Sugar (I use raw cane sugar - or sucanant if I have it)
3/4 C Softened butter - preferably from grass-fed cows, the flavor makes a HUGE difference
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg (farm fresh) beaten in a liquid measure cup, then fill to
1 C buttermilk

1) Mix sugar, flour and butter until it resembles corn meal.

2) Set aside 1 & 1/4 cup for topping

3) Mix baking powder and soda into the original dry ingredients in large bowl

4) Lightly beat an egg in a liquid measuring cup, then fill the rest of the cup with buttermilk until it reaches the one cup mark. Pour this into large bowl.

5) Mix well and then spread into a greased 9x9 or 9x13 pan.

6) Spread a layer of blueberries

7) Squeeze small handfuls of the dry mix from earlier and drop in small chunks on top of the blueberries.

Bake on the top shelf at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes.

We like to serve this cold, right out of the fridge after baking.

This is a modified recipe from one I found online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment