Tuesday, October 5

Bread Making





I know, I talk about bread a lot. I can't help it. I love it, especially right out of the oven. And that hour that needs to pass before slicing it is sheer agony.

I've been making my own bread for about a year now, for a number of reasons. Mostly because I love the process, and (yes I know I'm repeating myself), because nothing tastes better (to me) than freshly baked bread.

It took me a very long time to get it right. I'd say for the first month most of my "loaves" were more like bricks. We had a lot of croutons in the house back then...

My husband can't stand "earthy" bread as he calls it, so I was also struggling to find the right recipe to get that fluffy store bought bread he loves so much.

I didn't find it. I even went as far as purchasing dough enhancer (yes, there is such a thing), but in addition to it not doing a thing - such a waste. It also added a lot of the extra fillers I wanted removed - another reason to make my own bread.

Right before I was going to throw in the bread making towel, I came across the Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown. Every review I read sang only of praise for this book, and more than once claimed it was the only bread making book you'd ever need. I figured I would go for it, and if it didn't work out, we would just go back to buying the 15 grain, no additive, expensive store bought bread.

All I can say is, if you want incredible, hand made bread, get this book. I've been using the book for about two months now, and have made at least 20 loaves and a handful of the other recipes. They all turn out perfect, every single time. I love it, and can't speak highly enough of it. I only wish I would have known about this when I first started making bread, it would have saved me a lot of wasted time, energy and money.

The photos above are some examples of bread I've made using the book. In fact, the first time I followed the instructions from the book, my bread rose so high in the oven that I had to remove the top rack (the third picture).

I should also add that the book does not limit itself to just yeast bread. There are also recipes for pastries, muffins and quick breads, flavored butters and it shows you how to roll out different forms of bread (like the one in the second photo, which I might add is stuffed with apples, yum!).

Let me know if you try it and what you think.
Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment