Wednesday, January 4

The Coloring Drawer



During part of my pre-holiday organizing craze (which ended almost as quickly as it started - but I'm back at it again now that the holidays are over), I emptied out a few drawers in my kitchen. I chose three that seemed the least daunting. One of those three had been stocked with papers and coloring books for the kids. It was a mess, with crumpled half colored pages, random marker magic sheets (which, by the way, have no business in our house - those things make a monstrous mess when combined with my three year old), and broken crayons. I had colored pencils, crayons and markers tucked away in various other areas of my kitchen. I think my logic behind that was to have something on hand to keep the kids busy while I made dinner or lunch.

It made no sense to have all these items in different places, not to mention the kids couldn't reach any of it on their own.

My solution? Put everything in a drawer that every family member can reach, and have a designated place for each item within. I made sure that the art supplies available could easily be cleaned up in case someone's creative side took a wild streak.

I didn't spend a dime on this project, and just used mason jars I had on hand to corral the different supplies. Almost daily, Hannah will help herself to a coloring book and jar of crayon rocks or colored pencils. When its time to clean up, I just tell her to put all the items back in their home. I never had to elaborate on that, she just automatically knew what to do.

That was definitely an "ah-ha" moment for me. Imagine if I could do that in all the spaces the kids use. No more nagging. Or constantly picking up the toy trail little ones like to leave in their wake.

So that is the game plan for now. Wish me luck, I'll need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment