Wednesday, December 1

December & One Small Change


Happy First Day of December!

The very last month of the year, and filled with holidays, activities and most likely stress.

Along with "greening" up the holiday season, I also want to start "toning down" the hustle and bustle. My overall goal is to just keep things simple.

Much easier said than done.

I typically find myself wandering mentally about all the great things I want to get done this month, and all the gifts I want to give (eh hem, make) and all the shows our family should attend, and on and on. Now, every time I catch myself doing that, I take a deep breath and just try to stay present in the moment. Otherwise I know, I'll turn around and the season will be over, decorations will be coming down and I'll be searching for homes for the children's new play things. I don't want that this year.

And so, that leads me to introduce you to a site I came across recently. One Small Change The objective of the site is similar to what I talked about in this post a while back. But what's really nice about One Small Change is that they offer not only suggestions, but also camaraderie. Readers share what it is that they are changing at the beginning of each month, and then follow up near the end to share how it's going. I plan on sharing my changes on the first of each month here on my blog as well. I would love to hear what your thoughts are on this, and if you're participating.

This month, my focus is on creating a nightly family story time. We have a specific chair in our living room for the reader to sit in while telling the story. It's something we do sporadically, but I feel it would have a much more profound effect if it were nightly. It's great for my five year old and his reading comprehension, as well as a nice way to teach my two year old to sit in one place for the duration of the story. This should be a great opportunity to keep us connected and present. Not to mention it will likely create a warming memory for my children to look back on when they are adults.


Take Care!
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment