Monday, June 2

Chocolate Coconut Energy Bites



Goodness! It's weird to be blogging again.

I stopped blogging for so long. I considered just stopping for good. But I can't do that. I love it too much. I can't promise I'll be here often, but I do plan on posting at least semi-regularly. A lot has happened over the last year or so, and I'll write a catch up post soon.

However, I felt sharing this recipe with you was much more exciting.

These little chocolate bites are so delicious and nutritious as well! They are packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy fats. I plan on writing more about the health benefits of everything in these, and when I do, I will link them to this post. Just rest assured that they taste good, and you should definitely get to your kitchen and start mixing these up pronto - trust me! I've been swatting my kids away from them just to try and get a picture.

What you need:
1 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Cup Cocoa Powder (preferable not Dutch Process)
1/3 Cup Raw Honey
2 tsp Vanilla extract (gluten free)
1/2 Cup Chocolate Nibs
1/2 Cup Raw Pumpkin Seed Kernels
1/2 Cup Raw Sesame Seeds
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries (without added sugar)
1/4 Cup + 1 tbsp Dried Goji Berries
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to taste


1) Start by melting the coconut oil in a small saucepan.

2) Once coconut oil is completely liquified, add cocoa powder, vanilla and honey. Mix until you have a smooth consistency and everything is incorporated. Remove from heat.

3) Now add everything else except the sea salt and mix well.

4) Here you can choose to either spread the entire mixture over a parchment lined baking sheet and place it in the freezer to set, or you can spoon it into silicone molds. Once the chocolate mixture is spread out or the molds are filled, generously sprinkle the sea salt on top. I started with the mold option and instantly regretted it. The end result is by far prettier, however it's messy. One silicone mold held 30 bites and half my mixture, so I took the other half and used the baking sheet method. Unless I'm bringing these to a party or making them for a special occasion, I will probably just stick to the baking sheet.

5) Once your bites are set (about 10 minutes in the freezer), either pop them out of the mold, or if you used the baking sheet method, break them into uniform pieces. I took a large knife and scored the top of the chocolate to make my bites more uniform in size.

I store these in the fridge because they melt quickly. Because everything in these is fairly shelf stable, they should last in the fridge until they are all eaten up.

Give them a try and let me know what you think!



















No comments:

Post a Comment