Monday, November 12

Candied Cranberries - Recipe

 
 
It never fails. The temperatures start dropping, the leaves have all but fallen, the sun starts turning in much too early and I find myself spending more time in the kitchen. Maybe it's the shorter days, I don't really know. All I do know is that every year, around this time, I start craving comfort foods. Warm, fresh baked bread, rice pudding, roasted chicken and candied cranberries top my list. Pumpkin everything has been going full swing by now and it's time to bring in new flavors.
 
I never seem to be able to transition slowly into this either. I'll wake up one day, and boom! I NEED to make all these foods TODAY. Seriously, I wonder about myself sometimes. This year, that day came yesterday.
 
Soooo, today I wanted to share one of my favorites with all of you. Candied Cranberries. Loooove these, and most of the time I end up eating almost all of them myself.
 
They are so easy to make, it's hard for me not to make them all the time. They do have a lot of sugar though, so I'm forced to keep them as a sometimes food.
 
This recipe does require overnight soaking, so plan ahead. Don't worry, they are worth it!
 
 
Candied Cranberries Recipe
 
1 Cup Maple Syrup
2 Cups Fresh Cranberries
1.5 Cups Organic Sugar
 
1) In a small sauce pan, warm the maple syrup (do not bring to a boil, just make it luke-warm or the cranberries will pop).
 
2) Rinse and dry cranberries.
 
3) Place the cranberries in a stainless steel or ceramic small bowl. Cover with the maple syrup and then cover the bowl with a towel and allow to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
 
 
 
4) Once the cranberries have soaked overnight, remove them from the fridge. Using a large spoon, scoop up a few cranberries and allow as much syrup to drain out as possible.
 

 
 
 
5) Put the drained cranberries in a bowl filled with sugar and lightly push them around until they are coated in sugar.
 
 
 
 
6) Place them gently on a parchment covered baking sheet. Continue this until all of the cranberries are on the sheet. Allow to dry (about 1-2 hours) and then refrigerate.
 
 
 
 
Does this time of year put you in the mood to cook or bake? What's been on your table lately? I would love to hear what your favorite dish is!
 
 
Take care!
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment