Wednesday, May 16

Lavender Infused Wine


A while back, while flipping threw a Martha Stewart magazine, I came across rose infused wine. I was instantly captivated. Ooh did I want to try it, but, of course the bottle was priced around $60. Ummm, no thank you. I think at that price point, it just wouldn't taste that great to me, no matter how good it was.
It did get me thinking though. I've made infused lemonades before with easy success. So who's to say it couldn't be done with wine? I did a quick Google search and came up close to empty handed, which not only surprised me, but also left me a little wary about trying it.
My solution? Try making just one glass first to see if it works - easy peasy.

With one of my durable little mason jars in hand, I quickly set to work. To my surprise, it was wonderful! Not something to make regularly, but definitely great to try - especially with a themed spring or summer gathering. Yum!

Please make sure that when you make this, you use culinary flowers. I get mine from Mountain Rose Herbs because it's a source I can not only trust but also respect. I'm sure you don't want to be sipping on pesticides, so again, please check that your source (if you don't use mine), is organic.

Lavender Infused Wine1 Bottle of sweet white wine (I recommend either a Riesling or Muscato)
4.5 tsp of dried organic lavender
Cheese cloth or Fine mesh strainer
Small Funnel

1. Uncork your bottle of wine and pour a small amount out to make room for your flowers.

2. Using a funnel, pour in your flowers.

3. Re-cork and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

4. After about 12 hours, give the bottle a little swirl and put back in the refrigerator.

5. Pour your now infused wine threw either cheese cloth or a fine mesh strainer and into a wine glass. If small bits of lavender won't bother you, then just use the strainer - otherwise you'll need the cheese cloth to ensure you don't have little bits floating in your glass.

That's it! If you don't want to commit to a full bottle at first, just pour 6 ounces into a mason jar, add 1 tsp of lavender and then follow the same directions listed above.

I will be ordering organic rose petals soon to finally try that. And I won't be shelling out $60.

Have a great day!

2 comments: