Thursday, December 8

Easy Apple Jam - low sugar

I admit, I have been sharing an awful lot of jam/butter recipes. I just love making them. When I open up my freezer and see rows and rows of organized, colorful little jam jars, it makes me feel good - like I've accomplished something. Even more exciting for me? The fact that I have only had to purchase one jar of jam from the store this year - that's right, just one. We consume at least 2 eight ounce jars a week between the five of us, so that's an accomplishment in itself.



So here it is, my spin on apple jam (you can find the original recipe here). I reduced the sugar quite a bit to make it healthier, and I found the right ratio, so it tastes just as good as the fully loaded sugar variety. I have to say, this is one of the easier jam recipes that I've made. So if you've never made jam before, start here, with this recipe, it's no fail.



We use apple jam on pancakes, toast, and mixed in plain yogurt with walnuts. The yogurt tastes just like a dessert - again, minus the loads of sugar. Give it a try and let me know what you think.


Apple Jam
6 C diced apples (skin on) - 1/8" cubes

1/2 C water

1/2 tsp butter

1 pkg low sugar powdered pectin

1 C sugar (I used raw)

1 C packed brown sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg


1) In a large pot, combine the apples, water and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring regularly until apples are soft, and much of the liquid has been released from them. You'll be tempted to add more water, but don't.


2) Cook until it almost looks saucy, then add the pectin and bring to a boil.


3)Add sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg and bring to a boil again for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

4) After 1 minute, remove from heat, and ladle into hot 8oz mason jars.


I chose to freeze these, so I left an inch of empty space at the top of each jar to accommodate expansion.


This makes a great addition to gift baskets for the holidays, especially if you choose to can them.


Take care!

Lisa



1 comment:

  1. Yum! This sounds good! I have been trying to think of some different homemade items to add to a gift basket and this is definitely a good option. Thanks for the idea!
    -Kristin@meetmeonthebrightside

    ReplyDelete