Thursday, April 26

Homemade Throat Lozenges


For the last few weeks, a cold has been slowly sneaking from one tiny body to the next, and has ended with me. It always seems to work that way, doesn't it? As soon as your little ones start feeling better and are back to bouncing around the room, the virus smacks you in the face. As if to say "haha, no rest for you!" - yes my colds are out to get me - the few times a year they show up.

I typically don't take anything when I get sick, because I'm never "that" bad. But with my recent fascination with holistic/natural health, I thought I would give something a try. I came across a recipe in the book, The Rhythm of Family by Amanda Blake Soule - Homemade throat lozenges by Amy Karol. Amy has her own blog that you can check out here.

So, armed with herbal tea, honey and organic powdered slippery elm, I set to work on making my own natural throat soothers.

Difficult?
No. Do they work? Yes, they actually do help. Not like the in your face menthol blasts you find in the store, but they are soothing both to my throat and my peace of mind. Would I give them to my kids? Why sure! Though the odds of my little ones spitting them out with wrinkled noses is high. These don't taste bad, however, they don't taste like much of anything and the texture takes some getting used to.

Overall, I deem this a natural remedy success. I'm happy with the outcome, and this one little recipe made over 60 lozenges that should last for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment