Tuesday, December 29

Homemade Play Dough


Today's project was homemade play dough, and it went smoother than I had anticipated. My 5 year old helped me mix everything except the food coloring (I would do this yourself, it can get messy if you're not careful. My hands have blue and green stains on them right now). Austin had a blast shaping the dough into monsters, and my one year old, Hannah had a great time trying to feed it to the dog :)

Here's what you need (I found the recipe Here)

1 cup table salt
1.5 cups flour
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup water
food coloring

Put everything but the food coloring into a large mixing bowl and combine. Knead the dough until it forms a solid squishy mass, similar to store bought playdoe. If it's too sticky add more flour, if it's too dry, add some water until you reach a good consitency. Seperate into smaller balls, push an indent in the center and add food coloring - I used about 5 drops per ball of dough. Keep folding the dough on top of itself to try and contain the dye - I did this on top of a kitchen towel just incase some of the dye fell on the counter, which it did.

The dough should last for a few weeks in an air-tight container - I used ziploc bags, and even longer if stored in the fridge as well.

The project took about 15 to make, and my son would have played for hours if his little sister didn't need to go down for a nap ;)

Come back tomorrow! We're going to be exploring textures with the play dough we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment