Tuesday, May 24

Violet Jam!




I have to admit, I was a little sceptical when I came across this recipe a while back. But given the thousands of violets that where growing all over my grandma's lawn, how could I not at least try?





The first attempt didn't work out so well, and I ended up with a syrup, rather than a jam. And of course, didn't think about using it for teas or pancakes until after it was poured down the drain - oops. The second time around, I used similar ingredients listed in the recipe link above, but changed the way it was processed quite a bit. So, here is what I did...

Violet Jam

1 Cup of packed violets (stems removed)
1 Cup of filtered water
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Lemon juice (make sure to remove any seeds)
1 pkg of low-sugar pectin (small batch)

1. Rinse the violets well and place in blender.

2. Add 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup lemon juice to the blender and pulse until well blended.

3. Pour blender mixture into a small pot, mix in the pectin and bring to a strong rolling boil that can not be stirred down. Make sure to skim off any foam that rises to the top.

4. Remove from heat and stir in the honey. Bring back to boiling for 1 minute.

5. Pour mixture into hot prepared jam jars, cover with lids and let cool for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator.

I stored these in our freezer after cooling to preserve. If you want to get a correct seal (which will allow you to store these at room temp for up to 2 years), you would need to follow canning instructions. You can find some helpful info on that here, and the Ball Blue Book of Canning is a great resource as well.


**After posting this, I realized I never followed up with how it tasted. Wonderful! And so sweet.**




No comments:

Post a Comment