Monday, March 28

How to Make English Muffins

I've been wanting to make English muffins for a long time, but kept avoiding it because I was intimidated. Well, I finally decided just to go for it, because really, is it that big of a deal if it doesn't work out - of course not. Thankfully though, they were surprisingly simple, and turned out a lot better than I had anticipated. ** I have not provided a bread recipe here, the one I use is copyrighted, however, any bread dough will work as long as it's made with yeast. You will also need a griddle ** To make these, you will need to use a yeasted bread recipe - whichever is your favorite. I can't share mine, because it's really not mine. I use the Tassajara Bread book for our sandwich bread. The recipe yeilds two loaves, so instead of the two, I made one loaf, and used the rest of the dough for the english muffins. That gave me enough dough to make 12 muffins. Here's how to do it... After your dough from your bread recipe has been punched down, and then given time to rise again, dump it out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough, and roll it flat to about 1/4". To cut out my ciricles (you want them about 3" in diameter for standard size, but it really doesn't matter) I used the rim of a large coffee mug. Place the cut out circles on a wooden board or parchment lined cookie sheet that has been lightly dusted with either flour or cornmeal, and then sprinkle more flour or cornmeal on top. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size (about 20-30 minutes). Heat your griddle to high and cook the dough circles one side at a time. Reduce the heat to medium after a minute, and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Repeat the same process for each side. After this, I couldn't tell if my muffins were cooked all the way, so I placed them in my oven for about 10 more minutes at 350 just to be sure. They turned out fantastic! If you've ever had the desire to make your own english muffins, try it! You'll be surprised at how simple it really is. Have a great day, Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment