Monday, February 14

Valentine's Day Cookies and Some Rambling




Happy Valentine's Day!
First off, I think I need to apologize for again, the lack of notice that I wasn't going to be around for a bit. A lot has been going on, and I just couldn't seem to drag myself to the computer. In fact, not only did I not turn my computer on for two weeks, I haven't knit a row or sewn a stitch. I haven't crafted with the kids, baked anything (well, those cookies you see up there, that was our welcome back to baking) or read a single page in a book. If you know me at all, then you know something major must have been going on. I even contemplated stopping this blog - wow! But don't worry, I love this too much, so I won't be going anywhere - although the frequency may die down a bit for a while. So what's been going on? Well, first, we found out that we are going to be blessed with a baby this September. And well, my last pregnancies were a breeze, but this one, not so much - between migraines and morning sickness and a total lack of energy to do anything - nothing has gotten done. Add that to a nasty bout of the flu that included high fevers, hallucinations, vomiting and a trip to the E.R. during the height of a blizzard (oh yeah, we had one of those too), for all four of us. So, that's my excuse...

Enough excuses, let's talk about treats!

As lame as it may sound, the old adage "the quickest way to a man's heart is his stomach" most definitely applies to my man. Some of you know him in person, and I'm sure you're getting a giggle from that, but you know it's true, lol.

So this year for Valentine's day, we made him super soft, frosted sugar cookies. These rival any bake shop, I promise. Though, unlike most of my other recipes, there is nothing healthy about these at all. I used organic butter and farm fresh eggs, which made me feel a little better about it, but hey, you gotta live a little, right? So here it is....

Super Soft Sugar Cookies
1.5 C unsalted butter - softened (use real butter or it won't turn out)
1.5 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
4 C flour

1) Pre-heat oven to 350
2) Cream together the butter and sugar.
3) Beat in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.
4) Whisk together the dry ingredients, and add a little bit to the batter at a time, mixing well, until all of the dry mixture is used up.
5) On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4" and cut into desired shapes.
6) Bake on a parchment lined aluminum sheet for 10 minutes or until just set (you don't want them browned at all, or they will not stay soft and chewy).
7) Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack.
Fluffy Sugar Cookie Frosting
2 C powdered sugar
1/4 C butter - softened
2.5 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 drops food coloring (optional)

1) Beat together the sugar and butter.
2) In a small dish or cup, mix together the milk, vanilla and food coloring.
3) Gradually beat in the liquid mixture until well combined, and you achieve a stiff but fluffy frosting (2-5 minutes).

Wait until your cookies are completely cooled, and then frost. If you allow them enough time to dry, you should be able to stack the cookies, the frosting will harden slightly so it won't make a huge mess. These should stay soft and last quite a few days if covered.
Take care everyone! I'll be back in a couple days - promise!
-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment