Tuesday, May 18

Homemade Laundry Detergent - Biodegradeable & Chemical Free


I'm used to getting funny looks when I talk about some of the things I make myself, with one exception - laundry detergent. The minute I mention it costs me a little more than $3 to wash 64 loads, everyone asks how I do it. So, I figured it was time to post the recipe online to give my hands a break from writing it out ;)

An added bonus, and the main reason I went searching for this recipe is that it's completely biodegradable, and free from harsh detergents, soaps and dyes. So not only does this wonder soap cost considerably less than store bought jugs, it's safer for my family's skin, safer for our water supply, easier on the machines, and produces less waste for the environment. A win-win in my eyes. It is important to note however that this soap is not like traditional detergents, and it requires a little shake before pouring it into the measuring cup.

What you need:

1C Castile Soap (I use dr. bronner's sal suds - you can buy it here)

2C water

1/3C Salt

1C Baking Soda

Vinegar

1. Warm the salt and baking soda in water until it will no longer dissolve (you will have quite a bit of extra baking soda that does not dissolve and this is why it needs to be slightly shaken prior to measuring out for the laundry).

2. Transfer this to a clean gallon container, add the soap and then fill the rest with water.

3. Use 1/4C per load unless super dirty. For heavily soiled clothing use 1/2C. Add 2 tbsp of vinegar to the rinse cycle. This acts as a fabric softener and disinfectant.

Click here for the original recipe.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment.

Happy cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment